Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Heat is On!!! Thermal styling

Putting heat in your natural hair has got to be one of the most controversial topics in most of the hair blogs out there. Should you or shouldn't you?!?! Many naturals frown on the act of even thinking about doing a blow out or flat iron, but I say, as long as one takes extra precautions (deep conditioner, gentle manipulation, heat protection product, etc.) before, during, and after straightening, I don't see a problem with it, periodically. I mean we pride ourselves in having the versatility of curly hair so why not explore all options?? I'm just saying.....
Some naturals use heat often, while others use it a couple of times a year for hair maintenance like trims and length check,  but and this is a BIG BUT, I do know using heat on natural hair is a sure way of losing your natural curl, especially after a prolonged period of time.
When I first went natural, I put heat in my hair maybe once a year for a trim and to see my length. Once I started cosmetology school, I was putting heat in my hair more frequently and subsequently damaged my hair. I ended up having straight strands of hair even after shampooing and air drying. I've heard some naturals say that there curl pattern is looser after putting heat on it or that their texture is changing. I don't mean to burst your bubble, but all that is happening is heat damage to your hair. When using heat, it pulls the moisture out of your hair and damages the cuticle in the process. Which is why using a heat protectant is important. So instead of cooking your hair, you cook the product, therefore protecting your hair.
Once you experience heat damage, there is no repairing it. Even though you may see a commercial for a product that claims to "repair" damaged hair, it's only putting a band aid on it. Once you shampoo the product out, your hair is still damaged. Cutting your hair will be the only way to get rid of it.
In the end, the question of whether or not to put heat in your hair is totally up to you. If you are totally in love with your curly texture, then heat is not for you. On the hand, if you have natural hair, but want the effects of having a relaxer, then heat on baby! Just remember to use your moisturizers and protectors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...