Sunday, February 10, 2013

REAL NATURALS!!! Feature of the Month



Hello all, I know it's been a super long time since I've posted. I'm ready to jump back on the wagon. Let's start out the new beginnings with a beautiful "REAL" natural. 


MEET JACKIE

When and why did you decide to go natural? About 2 years ago. It came about because I was spending so much money to get relaxers. I figured I would save money by going natural. 

What reactions did you get when you decided to go natural? The response has been very positive. I haven't had any issues with my job. My co-workers were curious at first, but now compliment me on my hair. 


What do you love most about being natural? I like that I can get my hair wet and not be too concerned. I also like that, depending on my style, I can get up, fluff and go. 

Did you transition or big chop? I decided to transition. I've always had shoulder length hair. I was afraid to do the big chop. 

What is your favorite natural hair style? I've been struggling to find one that works. For almost a year, I've worn it in a puff with a headband. However, that has caused some hair breakage. Lately, I've worn it in two strand twists and a twist out. I'm liking it more than the puff. 

What is your current hair care regimen? I wash my hair once a week using Shea Moisture shampoo. I condition with Pantene for Colored Hair and use Cantu Shea Butter when I twist. 


What is the most damaging thing you've done to your hair? I've worn too many headbands, which caused breakage in the front. I've also neglected to get it trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks. I had very bad split ends. I had to cut 3 inches off. :-/

What are your favorite products? I've always like the Pantene conditioner for colored hair. Most people don't like it, but it works for my hair. I also use Shea Moisture products and the Cantu Shea Butter. 

Do you have any natural hair goals? I'd like to try different hair styles for myself. I'm a creature of habit and rarely like to try anything new. 

Do you receive negative comments from people, if so, how do you deal with it? Not really. I have had family members tell me they like my hair better when it's straightened. I just say ok and keep doing what I want. :-)

Any encouraging words for those considering going natural or are already natural. It's not as easy as you think it will be. I thought it would be a breeze. I spend just as much, if not more time, washing my natural hair as I did my relaxed hair. I'm still learning tips and tricks to taking care of my hair. Use the internet as a resource. There are lots of good sites and blogs with great information to help you on you journey. What works for one, may not work for you. Be prepared to take the time to find out what works for you. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...